Высадка советской экспедиции в Антарктиде
5 January 1956 on the coast of Antarctica landed Soviet Antarctic expedition. It was a constant expedition of the Arctic and Antarctic research institute of Academy of Sciences of the USSR. It was based as a preparation for the International geophysical year, consisted both from seasonal and wintering research groups in Antarctic. After disembarkation of members of expedition to the coast, the Mirnyi station was open on February 13, 1956. It was called in honor of a legendary shlyup "Mirnyi".