On October 17, 1740 the city Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky - future capital of Kamchatka was founded. The city was founded by participants of the second Kamchatka expedition of Vitus Beringa. Near the Avacha bay expedition wintered in a bay where was founded the first settlement which became the city Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky. The city was called by name of two ships of the expedition "Saint Peter" and "Saint Pavel". Today there are active volcanoes near the city. This is a place of a dislocation of base of the Pacific fleet of Russia.