Saint Petersburg, The General Staff Building triumphal arch.
The General Staff Building is an edifice with a 580 m long bow-shaped facade, situated on Palace Square in Saint Petersburg, Russia, in front of the Winter Palace.
The building was designed by Carlo Rossi in the Empire style and built in 1819-1829. It commemorates the Russian victory over Napoleonic France in the Patriotic War of 1812.
Until the capital was transferred to Moscow in 1918, the building served as the headquarters of the General Staff, Foreign Ministry and Finance Ministry. Now it hosts the headquarters of the Western Military District and the Hermitage Museum.